[OHIOBWG] FW: An unmarked bat with punches

Titchenell, Marne titchenell.4 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 24 20:19:04 EST 2022

Please see the inquiry below about bat work…

Hello everyone,

I hope summer has gone well for all of you and you are ready for fall! On a netting program that we are doing on the Bruce Peninsula, we caught this Little Brown Myotis on Sept 9, which had a very conspicuous hole on each wing AND the tail membrane. These look very much like wing punches to me that were deliberately done for research, but there was no band on the bat and we could not detect a BioMark PIT tag. The only PIT reader we have is for Biomark, so if there was a different brand of PIT tag we would not have been able to detect it, but I also could not feel a tag under the skin either.

The holes are only somewhat healed, so these were likely done sometime in the last couple weeks (late August or early September 2021). Also note how the tail membrane has healed faster (assuming these were in fact taken at the same time). Have you or anyone you know been doing bat skin sampling in that time? Although there is no unique marker, there is potential for a bat recapture record here to connect at least two dots on a map. Please get in touch with me so that we can share some information.

Thanks very much,

Derek Morningstar, M.Sc., PWS
Myotistar
myotistar at gmail.com<mailto:myotistar at gmail.com>
www.myotistar.ca<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http*3A*2F*2Fwww.myotistar.ca*2F&data=04*7C01*7Ctccarter*40bsu.edu*7C71d69627e5c045e8c2b108d9df6e6415*7C6fff909f07dc40da9e30fd7549c0f494*7C0*7C0*7C637786488548474440*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C2000&sdata=BJyf0UgaVmFhl8gDh4XWu*2BJ2sFmxD4gBp9c5jIiz94g*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUl!!KGKeukY!ij2G7JtURQK5mxkuSZVZy1kiG0s1oq4JeZ2rrVKzYqIR8ndOfbVBKtxLJ89RQk7E5Kw$>
(226) GOT-BATS