[OHIOBWG] Release paramaters for Ohio's rehabilitated bat species.

Ann Wookey amwook at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 6 21:04:45 EST 2019

Hi Marne,
Thank you so much for speaking at the OWRA conference last weekend. I really enjoyed both the songbird and bat presentations you gave. I am the person who spoke with you about the possibility of releasing the eastern red bat that came into rehab. That bat did get released so she could continue her journey south.
I am a volunteer with the Ohio Wildlife Center specializing in bats. I am working on developing release parameters for each species of Ohio bat that we get admitted into rehab. Most of the bats we get in are big browns and currently our only release criteria is geared toward them. We are seeing more eastern red, hoary, silver haired bats and occasionally little brown bats come through our center. I am developing specific criteria tailored to each of the above species as well as examining our big brown bat criteria.
I was wondering if there is research data on specific temperature ranges when these bat species are out flying; what is too cold of a release temperature for each species; what months / weeks are the migrating bats typically flying through central Ohio; when do the overwintering bats start to hibernate and at what time in the evening do they emerge to eat in the warm months.

Any advice or direction you could point me in to find this information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,Ann