[OHIOBWG] bat in the dishwasher

Alice Kahn kahna at miamioh.edu
Tue Feb 21 17:23:50 EST 2017

  I live near Oxford, Ohio in the country. I see bats here in the
summer. Today I emptied my dishwasher and noticed what I thought was
small piece of meat near the drain screen. I removed it, and found that
it was a dead bat-obviously that had been washed along with the dishes.
How can a bat get in a dishwasher?  I took it outside and photographed
it for proof but am not posting this photo to save space. I will post it
on request. It appears to be a little brown bat. How can I keep this
from happening again? I want to encourage bats to live here, but not in
my house. Please give me some suggestions as to what I should do. The
dishwasher is a new one, and our kitchen was remodeled two years ago.
The roof is intact. Thanks for your help-Alice