[OHIOBWG] Volunteers needed for bat acoustic surveys

Blyth, Lauren H. blyth.2 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 2 11:02:43 EDT 2015

The Ohio Division of Wildlife is conducting acoustic bat surveys in an effort to monitor summer bat populations across the state. The recent spread of white nose syndrome into Ohio means that this is an important time for this project. The attached the 2014 project report gives more detailed information.

Volunteers survey assigned routes using recording equipment and training provided by the Division of Wildlife. Trainings are conducted in June. Each route is surveyed three times in July. The survey is done starting ½ hour after sunset. The 30 mile survey routes are driven at 15mph (about 2 hours) by two volunteers. We are currently in need of volunteers, particularly in Northwest Ohio where we have several gaps.

1)      Wood County route that is west of Bowling Green. This is one of the original pre-white nose syndrome routes from 2011. Continuous yearly monitoring of this route is very important.

2)      Paulding and Van Wert County border route

3)      Shelby County route is west of Sydney and I75

4)      Harrison County west of Cadiz (North of I70 in Eastern Ohio)

5)      I would like to establish a new route in the Findlay area where there is a gap in our coverage.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you think that you would like to participate. Feel free to pass this information on to others who may be interested.

Thank you,

Lauren Blyth
Mobile Bat Acoustic Project Coordinator
Ohio Division of Wildlife