[OHIOBWG] 2nd Annual Ohio Bat Working Group Meeting

Morris mjohnson001 at woh.rr.com
Fri Mar 14 00:46:31 EDT 2014

    Jennifer, I ‘m Morris Johnson and I live at Long Island on Indian Lake. I’m part of a group of individuals who are fighting the Scioto Ridge Wind Projects. To make a long story short, I understand from  a government official  there can be no wind turbines constructed w/in 5 miles of an eagles nest in the state of Ohio. I’m here to tell you, we in the  Long Island area, have a pair of nesting eagles at Pony Island , which just adjacent to Long Island. My property is on the water on the O'Connor's side of Long Island, opposite side of Pony Island. My front (lake side), faces the O'Connor's Point area. There are 8 wind turbines #’s 1,2,3,9,11,21,18 planned for “O'Connor's and Phelps farm” property, which is just to the south. These 8 are the closest turbines planned to the lake. These 8 turbines range from 2400 to 7600 feet from Indian Lake State Park Land. It had been over a hundred years since the eagles called this area home, and are so proud they have chosen “our” area to raise their young. I just saw two adult eagles on the ice in front of our property less than two weeks ago. They were eating “left over fish” the ice fishermen left behind from fishing the day before.
    Please contact me about this urgent matter. The OPSB will decide, Monday the 17th if the Scioto Ridge Wind projects are allowed to proceed with construction. There is a large group of concerned residents of our area and Northern Logan County and Southern Hardin counties who don’t want these useless things standing 500 feet in the air polluting our beautiful views. We fear for the safety and well being of all the native birds and water foul in the Indian Lake Area. We also have several Mute Swans in our area of the lake that stay year around, as well as other water foul and birds. In the fall there are several species of waterfowl that migrate through this area. I’ve seen  the Sand hill Cranes in the fall migrating through this area. We even had a Brown Pelican that stopped in the O'Connor's farm area of the lake and stayed almost a week a few years back.
    It looks like your area of expertise is bats and their survival against the wind turbines. Bats are necessary too, I know they help control disease with their diet of mosquitos.
    If you can’t help us with our fight to save the eagles from the turbine monstrosities who can??

    Thanks

Morris Johnson
mjohnson001 at woh.rr.com