[OHIOBWG] Fw: Myotis lucifugus tissue for genetic analysis

Katrina Schultes kschultes at fs.fed.us
Tue Mar 8 16:14:06 EST 2011

A grad student in Boston is looking for little brown bat wing biopsies
(see below).  If you can help her, contact her directly.

Thanks,
Katrina

Katrina Schultes
Wildlife Biologist
Wayne National Forest
13700 U.S. Hwy 33, Nelsonville, OH 45764
740-753-0901 / fax: 740-753-0118
kschultes at fs.fed.us
----- Forwarded by Katrina Schultes/R9/USDAFS on 03/08/2011 04:13 PM -----

Aryn Wilder <apw at bu.edu>
03/01/2011 11:31 AM

kschultes at fs.fed.us
cc

Subject
Myotis lucifugus tissue for genetic analysis

Hi Katrina,

I am a graduate student of Tom Kunz's at Boston University. I am
conducting a rangewide population genetics study of Myotis lucifugus
to better understand patterns of gene flow in this species and their
association with the geographic spread of White-nose syndrome.

I have sampled pretty extensively in the northeastern portion of the
species' range, and am now focusing on collecting samples from the
Midwest and West. If you happened to have any stored M. lucifugus
tissue that you would be willing to loan, I would be very grateful for
the help and the bats would probably appreciate the minimized
disturbance. If you don't have tissues on hand, do you know of people
who will be out mist netting who might be able to collect wing
biopsies or let me tag along to collect them? Alternatively, do you
know of maternity colonies where I would likely catch luci's in Ohio
or other states?

I appreciate any help or advice you may offer.

Thanks, Aryn