[Natfinwellness] Food Insecurity and Financial Wellness

Schor, Meredith mschor1 at email.gwu.edu
Tue Jul 11 16:26:05 EDT 2017

Anyone referred to our food bank, by the Dean of Students, is sent to the
financial aid office for budget counseling and making good financial
choices.  Generally, in my experience (one year with a food bank at GW)
food insecurity is tied to the student putting others ahead of themselves.
We have had to do a little reality check/tough love/ self love-care with
them. It has only been a few students so far (knocking on wood).  Students
can find the food bank on their own and we miss out on counseling those
students directly (indirectly we have web tools).

Good luck with your program.

Meredith Schor, MA, MBA
Director, Financial Aid

The George Washington University
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
2300 I St. NW, Suite 106
Washington, DC 20052
202.994.2960
fax 202.994.9488
mschor1 at gwu.edu <mschor1 at law.gwu.edu>

*"Comparison is the thief of joy" (T. Roosevelt); don’t measure your
happiness or well being by another person’s success or failure.*

*Students must include their GW ID with all correspondence.*

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential
and/or proprietary information intended only for the use of the
Individual(s)or Entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, notify the
sender by replying to this message and delete the e-mail from your system.
When responding to this communication, remember that it could be lost in
transit and viewed by a party other than the addressee.

*Reminder: Email is not a secure way to transmit private information.
Therefore, please do not include your social security number or other
sensitive financial information such as tax returns via email.*