[Natfinwellness] Interactive Budget Workshops

Pellegrini, Andrea apelleg3 at uillinois.edu
Mon Oct 31 13:25:05 EDT 2016

We do this with the bean game: https://extension.usu.edu/utah/files/uploads/Finance/THE%20BEAN%20GAME.pdf
Then we take beans away to explain how shifting priorities can be difficult and having emergency savings can help. For the freshman that find it easy to rearrange their beans, we talk about the fact that not everyone will have access to friends or family to help them or that habits are much harder to break than just moving around beans.

We also talk about SMART goals as the building blocks for your budget, and that needs & wants are more fluid than most people realize because different people have different priorities & values, which can shift throughout our lives.

Hope that helps, Jordee!
Andrea