[Natfinwellness] Interactive Budget Workshops

Kathleen Czech kzczech at stkate.edu
Tue Nov 1 15:25:36 EDT 2016

We break students into groups of 2-3, then provide them with a mythical
student's budget spreadsheet. The mythical student is in the red. We ask
the groups to make changes to get her balanced or even into the black.

The spreadsheet is reflective of what we've seen when counseling students
about their spending and budgets. This exercise is very popular. It spurs
wonderful conversation while they're working on it and during the wrap up.
There is more than one way to solve the mythical student's situation, so
the conversation includes discussion about making choices and how the
groups made decisions.

If you'd like to see the spreadsheet, I'd be happy to share it, but I like
the idea of creating one that is reflective of what you're experiencing
with your students. We created ours when looking for a new activity for
presentations. :)

Take care,

Kathy

*Kathy Czech*
*Assistant Director, Financial Literacy & Student Employment | St.
Catherine University **| **651.690.8685 <651.690.8685> | Peer Money Mentors
|  moneymentors at stkate.edu <moneymentors at stkate.edu> | Coeur de Catherine
Suite 210 | * * studentemployment at stkate.edu <studentemployment at stkate.edu>
| Recruiting Coordinator, Anne Bowlin | 651.690.6981 <651.690.6981> |
ambowlin at stkate.edu <ambowlin at stkate.edu>  | ** 2004 Randolph Avenue, St.
Paul, MN 55105  *