[Natfinwellness] International Students & Credit Reports

Garcia, Courtney Courtney.Garcia at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 3 18:18:13 EST 2015

Hi,

This article says that Intl students can use their ITIN or SSN to check their credit score. (Not sure how trustworthy this source is).  The article also says they can apply for an SSN with a F-1 or J-1 Visa:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/foreign-exchange-student-us-credit-score-1294.php

I also wonder if it makes a difference who is pulling the credit report: Maybe a bank has more flexibility with whether they can use an ITIN vs. an online "check my credit score" site?

I look forward to hearing what other people say.

Best,

Courtney Garcia

Academic Counselor
Educational Opportunities Program
Waldo Hall 341
(541) 737-3922

EOP
Helping Students Thrive:
Supporting Development; Celebrating Success