[mvapich-discuss] Preloading the libraries "LD_PRELOAD" Effect

Subramoni, Hari subramoni.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 27 09:23:13 EDT 2020

Hi,

The function of LD_PRELOAD is to make sure that functions defined in a shared library that is pointed to by LD_PRELOAD is selected before any similar definitions that are available/exposed by other shared libraries. It will not have an impact on startup cost.

If you have an application that uses several shared library objects and you want to improve the loading time of these, please look at the Spindle project from LLNL which is built exactly for this purpose (https://computing.llnl.gov/projects/spindle).

Depending on your application characteristics, there are several tuning/optimizations one can perform.

The following “Best Practices” link has some sample studies that we have done with applications highlighting the impact of application specific tuning on performance.

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/best_practices/

For more details, please refer to the following presentation given at the “8th Annual MVAPICH User Group (MUG) Meeting” (http://mug.mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/mug/19/) about “How to Boost the Performance of Your HPC/AI Applications with MVAPICH2 Libraries?”

http://mug.mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/static/media/mug/presentations/19/subramoni-mug-19.pdf

Please let us know if you have any further questions and we will be glad to help.

Regards,
Hari.