[mvapich-discuss] Installing MVAPICH2 - 2.3. GDR 2 on Summit

Chu, Ching-Hsiang chu.368 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Thu Sep 26 15:35:10 EDT 2019

Hi Junchao,

If GDRCopy library is not available on the system, you can simply turn it off by setting the environment variable "MV2_USE_GDRCOPY=0" when running your MPI jobs.

Currently, we do not provide MVAPICH2-GDR RPMs to use jsrun directly on Summit due to some issues of PMIx library. We are working with other developers on fixing the issues and will provide new RPMs once it gets resolved. As a workaround, we recommend using the mpirun_rsh launcher.

Example script:
=====
# use jsrun to generate the desired hostfile
jsrun -n 2 -r 1 hostname > ./hfile
# launch MPI jobs using mpirun_rsh and the hostfile
export MV2_USE_GDRCOPY=0 MV2_USE_CUDA=1
export LD_PRELOAD=$MVAPICH2_GDR_ROOT/lib64/libmpi.so
$MVAPICH2_GDR_ROOT/bin/mpirun_rsh -export-all -np 2 --hostfile ./hfile ./osu_latency D D
=====

More information about using mpirun_rsh can be found in the MVAPICH2 userguide: http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/static/media/mvapich/mvapich2-2.3.2-userguide.html#x1-310005.2.1
Contents<http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/static/media/mvapich/mvapich2-2.3.2-userguide.html#x1-310005.2.1>
5 Basic Usage Instructions. 5.1 Compile Applications. MVAPICH2 provides a variety of MPI compilers to support applications written in different programming languages. Please use mpicc, mpif77, mpiCC, or mpif90 to compile applications. The correct compiler should be selected depending upon the programming language of your MPI application.
mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu
Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks,

Ching-Hsiang Chu