[mvapich-discuss] make distclean doesn't with mvapich2 2.3.2

Carlson, Timothy S Timothy.Carlson at pnnl.gov
Tue Aug 20 12:18:54 EDT 2019

This may be a bad habit but I commonly unpack the mvapich2 source and build for all my compiler variants in the same directory with a “distclean” to get back to a clean extract.

When building mvapich2 2.3.2 I ran across this issue.

tar zxf mvapich2-2.3.2.tar.gz
cd mvapich2-2.3.2
module load intel/19.0.4
./configure
make
make distclean
#  find . -name '*.o' | wc -l
84

An example file
# ls -lt ./osu_benchmarks/mpi/pt2pt/osu_bw.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7360 Aug 20 07:24 ./osu_benchmarks/util/osu_util.o

module load gcc/8.1.0
./configure
make

-snip-
osu_util.c:(.text+0x7e0): undefined reference to `__intel_sse2_strtok'
-snip-

I think in the past I have gotten lucky by building with gcc first. If I go back and look at my 2.3.1 builds, they have the same issue of .o files sitting around after a “distclean”

Thanks

Tim