[mvapich-discuss] Intel Compilers and Fortran 2008 Support

Christof Koehler christof.koehler at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Fri Sep 21 07:26:31 EDT 2018

Hello everybody,

there was a previous thread on the list concerning detection of Fortran
2008 support when building mvapich2 2.3 with Intel compilers:
http://mailman.cse.ohio-state.edu/pipermail/mvapich-discuss/2018-August/006704.html

I am a bit confused now, may be someone could clarify the following:

Using the stock mvapich2-2.3.tar.gz I observe
that Fortran 2008 capability of the compiler is neither detected with
ifort 16.0.4 nor ifort 17.0.5:

# ifort -v
ifort version 16.0.4
# CC=icc FC=ifort F77=ifort CXX=icpc ./configure --enable-fast=O1 --enable-fortran=all --with-device=ch3:psm  --enable-option-checking 2>&1  |grep 2008
checking for Fortran 2008 support... no
# ifort -v
ifort version 17.0.5
# CC=icc FC=ifort F77=ifort CXX=icpc  ./configure --enable-fast=O1 --enable-fortran=all --with-device=ch3:psm  --enable-option-checking 2>&1  |grep 2008
checking for Fortran 2008 support... no

>From the previous thread I assumed that even without the patch Fortran
2008 should be detected correctly using these compilers, but may be I
misunderstood what the expected behaviour was ?

Remark: Using mvapich2 2.2 together with the 16.0.4 compiler the Fortran
2008 support is correctly detected as "yes".

Further, I tried to apply the patch to aclocal_fc.m4 but without
success. Using both the ifort 17.0.5 compiler and the ifort 18.0.3
I still get a
"checking for Fortran 2008 support... no"
although configure apparently succeeds, last output is
"Configuration completed."

But a subsequent make gives
# make
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh
/usr/src/mvapich2-2.3/confdb/missing aclocal-1.15 -I confdb
/usr/src/mvapich2-2.3/confdb/missing: line 81: aclocal-1.15: command not found
WARNING: 'aclocal-1.15' is missing on your system.
         You should only need it if you modified 'acinclude.m4' or
         'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
         The 'aclocal' program is part of the GNU Automake package:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake>
         It also requires GNU Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>
         <http://www.perl.org/>
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 127
Running "aclocal" in the top directory which contains configure.ac
does not seem to have any effect at all.

>From that I would assume (my experience is nonexistent) that I
have to regenerate parts of the configure machinery after patching the
file in another way. A hint how to do that would be appreciated.
The OS is Centos7.4 with automake 1.13.4-3.el7.

Best Regards

Christof