[mvapich-discuss] Spawned Process cannot access shared memory

Jannek Squar squar at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Mar 29 10:22:15 EDT 2017

Hello everybody,

I encountered a problem regarding MVAPICH2 2.2 and gcc 6.3.0 while using
MPI-3 shared memory with dynamically spawned processes in Fortran on a
single node with shared memory. See simplified example files attached.

My master-process spawns one slave-process and both try to create shared
memory. Since the slave shall access the shared memory created by the
master it calls mpi_win_shared_query, but cPtr, which should hold the
process-local address, has not been associated. Therefore the execution
fails with "Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault -
invalid memory reference".

If I build those files with IntelMPI2017 everything runs fine. Since I'm
still new to MPI-3 I hope that I did not only introduce some bug into
the example code.

Greetings
Jannek