[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2-2.2 hangs with VASP

Gardiner, Judith judithg at osc.edu
Tue Sep 27 13:36:23 EDT 2016

I've been trying to run VASP 5.4.1 with mvapich2 2.2 but it hangs for certain problems and/or numbers of nodes and cores.  Oddly enough, 2.2rc1 works better than 2.2, although it fails in some cases.

We've seen similar problems with earlier releases of mvapich2.  The last release that worked with VASP was mvapich2 1.9, which we're not installing on our newest cluster.

You've given me various environment variables to set in the past, but I thought they were temporary workarounds, and I don't remember what they were.  I've never been able to come up with a simple reproducer.

Our workaround is to use IntelMPI, but we're disappointed because mvapich2 1.9 used to be faster than IntelMPI.

Judy

--
Judith D. Gardiner, Ph.D.
Ohio Supercomputer Center