[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH2 (2.1rc1) on PSM error

Wasko, Wojciech wojciech.wasko at intel.com
Mon Oct 3 18:12:26 EDT 2016

>  I occasionally get the following error when I issue a large number

> (in this case, the large number is >10 million) of `MPI_Put`:

> `b11.10016Exhausted 1048576 MQ irecv request descriptors,

> which usually indicates a user program error or insufficient request descriptors

> (PSM_MQ_RECVREQS_MAX=1048576)`

Sayan,

Your program seems to be exhausting the number of entries in the Matched Queue that are available. To increase it, you can change the memory model in PSM to “large” by passing the environment variable PSM_MEMORY=large to the processes.

However, it doesn’t solve the fundamental problem, it just pushes the boundary further out. Bottomline, I think any transport will quit when queuing up billions of puts on it… To deal with the problem correctly, I think the workload should insert a barrier every certain number of puts. That’d make sure you don’t overflow the transport.

Wojciech Waśko