[mvapich-discuss] Question about MVAPICH install

Robert Diersing Robert.Diersing at tamuk.edu
Tue Jan 26 09:24:35 EST 2016

Hello,

I am a newcomer to this list and MVAPICH2.  I have some questions which I hope won't require a lot of time.  However, feel free to direct me to some other location to find the answers for myself.

We have two small clusters-one has 32 nodes and one has 8 nodes and each has a head node.  Both clusters are connected by a local subnet that does not connect to the outside world.  The 32-node cluster is x86_64 architecture and the head node and eight of the compute nodes have infiniband cards (specifically QLE 7340).  The infiniband also has a subnet of its own separate from the one that connects all 32 nodes.  The 8-node cluster is i686 architecture and none of the nodes have infiniband support.

If I understand correctly, MVAPICH2 does support IP only but my question is which version should I install?  Can I have the mixture of some nodes with infiniband and some not?  Will I be able to install on the i686 hardware?

Thank you.

Regards,

Robert J. Diersing, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
HPCC System Administrator
Executive Director of Special Projects
Dean's Office
Frank H. Dotterweich College of Engineering
EC 271
361.593.3964