[mvapich-discuss] mvapich compilation error with psm

Christof Koehler christof.koehler at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Thu Dec 1 04:06:06 EST 2016

Hello,

> In summary, we have run some tests on the setup you mention (KNL with dual Omni-Path cards) and we have achieved nearly link speed by running different osu_ benchmarks for bandwidth and message rates measurements and using 4 ranks per node on a pair of nodes and not using any special build flags.
> ./configure  --without-mpe --disable-mcast --enable-shared --with-device=ch3:psm --with-psm2 --with-ch3-rank-bits=32 --disable-maintainer-mode

I have a question regarding compilation options. In the line above
"--disable-mcast" is set. This is also set for the patched mvapich 2.1
version Intel diistributes together with the OmniPath driver tarball.

However, running configure -h shows "--enable-mcast
enable hardware multicast" which would indicate to me that
"--disable-mcast" is the actual default.

The manual documents the "MV2_USE_MCAST" flag with a default value of
"0", so it should be disabled in any case ?

I am confused. Is the "--disable-mcast" flag recommended or required ?
Does it have an effect at all ?

I built our mvapich2 for psm2 without setting any flag regarding
mulitcast. On the other hand we do not have KNL hardware.

Best Regards

Christof

Dr. rer. nat. Christof Köhler       email: c.koehler at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Universitaet Bremen/ BCCMS          phone:  +49-(0)421-218-62334
Am Fallturm 1/ TAB/ Raum 3.12       fax: +49-(0)421-218-62770
28359 Bremen

PGP: http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/c_koehler/