[mvapich-discuss] Difference between MVAPICH2 and MVAPICH2-GDR

Panda, Dhabaleswar panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jun 25 08:56:06 EDT 2015

Thanks for your note. You are mixing-up two concepts: 1) CUDA-aware MPI and 2) GPUDirect RDMA. The
CUDA-aware MPI concept allows MPI_Send and MPI_Recv to use data from GPU device directly.
GPUDirect RDMA (GDR) allows data to be moved from a GPU to another GPU through through PCI
interface using RDMA (say over InfiniBand) without going through the host memory.

MVAPICH2 supports only CUDA-aware MPI.

MVAPICH2-GDR supports CUDA-aware MPI, GPUDirect RDMA (GDR), and many other advanced designs
related to GPU clusters to exploit performance and scalability. For example, you can get very low
D-D latency (close to 2 microsec) with MVAPICH2-GDR. Thus, for GPU clusters with InfiniBand,
we strongly recommend the users to use MVAPICH2-GDR. Please take a look at the MVAPICH2-GDR user
guide from the following URL for all features and usage guidelines:

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/userguide/gdr/

Hope this helps.

DK