[mvapich-discuss] Application aborts at runtime.

Hari Subramoni subramoni.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 4 08:57:58 EDT 2015

Hi Chaitra,

I dug a little deeper into this issue. As you may know MVAPICH2 is a
derivative of MPICH i.e - we inherit some of the higher level code from
MPICH.

This issue looks to come from higher MPICH level code. Although the upper
bound for the tag is initialized to be INT_MAX, MPICH reserves some tag
space for internal use.

With mpich-3.1.4, I see the following in File: "src/mpi/init/initthread.c".
This gives you a max value of  536870911 that users can specify at the
application level with threaded support. MVAPICH2 inherits this limit.

503     /* Set aside tag space for tagged collectives and failure
notification */
504     MPIR_Process.attrs.tag_ub     >>= 2;

With mpich-3.2b2, I see the following in File: "src/mpi/init/initthread.c".
This gives you a max value of  268435455 that users can specify at the
application level with threaded support.

503     /* Set aside tag space for tagged collectives and failure
notification */
504     MPIR_Process.attrs.tag_ub     >>= 3;

The reason why your application passes with OpenMPI could be because
they've a higher upper limit for the tag.

In this context, I would recommend that you follow up with the MPICH team
at "discuss at mpich.org".

In the short term, I would recommend modifying your application to use
smaller tags to make progress with MPICH derivatives.

Regards,
Hari.