[mvapich-discuss] Docs re: MVAPICH2 2.0.x and PBS/Torque

Novosielski, Ryan novosirj at ca.rutgers.edu
Tue Jan 13 17:52:45 EST 2015

On Jan 13, 2015, at 16:45, Jonathan Perkins <perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu<mailto:perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu>> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 03:51:02PM -0500, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
Is this still accurate?

—
5.2.4  Run on PBS/Torque Clusters

You can use MVAPICH2 for clusters administered by PBS/Torque. If you
are a cluster user (not an administrator), please ask your cluster
administrator to install the OSC mpiexec. If you are a cluster
administrator, please follow the instructions below.

You will need to download mpiexec from Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC)
at the following link.

Please note that this mpiexec is different from the mpiexec provided
within MPICH. Also note that you do not need to use either mpirun_rsh
or mpiexec.hydra on a cluster that is administered with PBS/Torque.
You may also choose to remove the MVAPICH2 mpiexecs from the install
path to shield your users from making a mistake of trying to run MPI
jobs with a wrong launcher.
—

…it does not appear as if this software has changed since 2010, and
that’s a pretty long time in this field.

Thank you for pointing this out.  This portion of the userguide needs to
be updated.  It may get updated to something of the following lines...

   Both mpirun_rsh and mpiexec can take information from the PBS/Torque
   environment to launch jobs (ie. launch on nodes found in
   PBS_NODEFILE).

   You can also use MVAPICH2 in a tightly integrated manner with PBS.
   To do this you can install mvapich2 by adding the --with-pbs option
   to mvapich2. Below is a snippet from ./configure --help of the hydra
   process manager (mpiexec) that you will use with PBS/Torque.

   --with-pbs=PATH         specify path where pbs include directory
                           and lib directory can be found
   --with-pbs-include=PATH specify path where pbs include directory
                           can be found
   --with-pbs-lib=PATH     specify path where pbs lib directory can
                           be found

   For more information on using hydra, please visit the following url:
   http://wiki.mpich.org/mpich/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

Thanks much. I knew I came across that somewhere else and wondered if it applied to MVAPICH2 also. Great to hear.

Will this be any help for a case where a user runs two jobs on the same node and when one quits, the other exits also? I haven't tracked down the cause of that yet -- maybe someone else knows.

Thanks again.

--
____ *Note: UMDNJ is now Rutgers-Biomedical and Health Sciences*
||_// Biomedical | Ryan Novosielski - Senior Technologist
|| \\ and Health | novosirj at rutgers.edu<mailto:novosirj at rutgers.edu>- 973/972.0922 (2x0922)
||  \\  Sciences | OIRT/High Perf & Res Comp - MSB C630, Newark
    `'