[mvapich-discuss] PID uncertainty with MPI apps

Sashi Balasingam sashibala2 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 02:14:36 EDT 2015

 Hi all:
We recently switched from mvapich 2-1.8 to mvapich 2-2.1 to run our compute cluster. While trying to debug an issue in my application using gdb, I found an uncertainty of which  process-ID (PID) to use. When I launch my MPI app, I print the PID ( using get_pid ()), but when I do a grep of all the PIDs that are currently running, I don't see that PID.  When I did 'ps -eaf | grep my_app', I find multiple entries listed.
How do I find the correct PID, so that I could do an 'attach' with that PID, inside gdb ?
Any suggestions/recommendations on this debug matter would by much appreciated.
Thanks,
SashiBala