[mvapich-discuss] Why Latency test reports lower bandwidth than Bandwidth test in the OSU benchmark?

Hari Subramoni subramoni.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 31 09:45:13 EDT 2014

Hello,

The aim of the latency test (osu_latency) is to identify the "one-way"
latency, which is half of the round trip time. Thus, the latency tests are
carried out in a ping-pong fashion. The sender sends a message with a
certain data size to the receiver and waits for a reply from the receiver.
The receiver receives the message from the sender and sends back a reply
with the same data size. Many iterations of this ping-pong test are carried
out and average one-way latency numbers are obtained.

The objective of this bandwidth test is to determine the maximum sustained
date rate that can be achieved at the network level. Thus, the bandwidth
tests are carried out by having the sender sending out a fixed number of
back-to-back messages to the receiver so that the network pipe is fully
occupied and then waiting for a reply from the receiver. The receiver sends
the reply only after receiving all these messages. This process is repeated
for several iterations and the bandwidth is calculated based on the elapsed
time (from the time sender sends the first message until the time it
receives the reply back from the receiver) and the number of bytes sent by
the sender.

This is the primary reason for the difference seen in the bandwidth
obtained using the osu_bw and osu_latency. I hope this clarifies things.

Please refer to our benchmarks page for a complete description of all OSU
microbenchmarks.

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/benchmarks/

Regards,
Hari.