[mvapich-discuss] Same nodes different time?

Tony Ladd tladd at che.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 27 17:45:45 EDT 2014

Daniel

On a large cluster it is usually the case that the network is not flat
(ie every node connected to every other node by a large switch) but some
kind of tree structure of smaller switches. Usually the connections
between the switches are fat (ie several wires) but still the bandwidth
between switches is limited. So your performance can vary depending on
what else is going on with the other nodes in the system. This is made
worse by the way schedulers assign the nodes to a job. I think most of
them do not take into account node placement, so you can have nodes
which are distant topologically, with several hops between them. This
increases the likelihood of finding an overworked switch somewhere which
then slows the whole job down.

Tony

Tony Ladd

Chemical Engineering Department