[mvapich-discuss] How to set link libraries and flags

Daniel WEI lakeat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:22:19 EDT 2014

Dear List,

Newbie here. I am compiling a CFD open source code OpenFOAM (c++) on my
school's intel XEON NON Blocking Infiniban Mellanox HBA cluster. I am using
mvapich2's latest SVN snapshot, should be mvapich2-2.0.

My questions are,
1. What does flag "DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX" mean? When should I use it?
2. Which libraries of the following should be linked with when compiling my
code,

--------------------------------
-lmpich
-lmpichcxx
-lopa
-lmpl
-lrt
-lpthread
--------------------------------

I saw "mpicc -show" only gives "-lmpich -lopa -lmpl". Then should only
these three be linked? librt and libpthread are not in mvapich2/lib folder,
should they be linked?  libmpichcxx is in the mvapich2/lib folder, should
it be linked since I am compiling a C++ code?

My mvapich2 is configures with:

--------------------------------
$ mpiname -a
MVAPICH2 2.0b unreleased development copy ch3:mrail

Compilation
CC: icc -m64 -fPIC   -g -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -O2
CXX: icpc -m64 -fPIC  -g -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -O2
F77: gfortran -L/lib -L/lib   -g -O2
FC: ifort   -g -O2

Configuration
--prefix=/afs/
crc.nd.edu/user/z/zwei1/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.3.0/platforms/linux64Icc/mvapich2-2.0CC=icc
FC=ifort CXX=icpc --with-device=ch3:mrail --with-rdma=gen2
--enable-g=dbg --enable-shared --enable-debuginfo --without-psm
--disable-checkerrors --enable-embedded-mode

Thanks a lot,
Daniel