[mvapich-discuss] how to build mvapich2-2.0 with specific microarchitecture

Guo, Gcwenken gcwenken.guo at ttu.edu
Fri Jun 27 20:09:50 EDT 2014

Hi:
    I read some gcc optimization documents. And they said that gcc does not detect microarchitecture by default. In order to obtain the best performance, I need to tell gcc by passing -march=nehalem to CFLAGS (because I know that all the cpus in the supercomputer are the same and support intel nehalem microarchitecture). However, how to tell mvapich2-2.0 configure that such special requirement? At first, I ./configure --help and find out that:

MPICHLIB_CFLAGS
            extra CFLAGS used in building MVAPICH libraries
MPICHLIB_CXXFLAGS
            extra CXXFLAGS used in building MVAPICH libraries
MPICHLIB_FFLAGS
            extra FFLAGS used in building MVAPICH libraries
MPICHLIB_FCFLAGS
            extra FCFLAGS used in building MVAPICH libraries

so, I think  ./configure MPICHLIB_CFLAGS=-march=nehalem MPICHLIB_CXXFLAGS=-march=nehalem  MPICHLIB_FFLAGS=-march=nehalem MPICHLIB_FCFLAGS=-march=nehalem is appropriate.

But it looks like stupid and easy to make mistake, is there any method to pass microarchitecture information to all to all internal compiler flags?

Thank you very much