[mvapich-discuss] Launching other applications from an MPI process

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Aug 29 11:40:02 EDT 2014

Hi Mehmet.  I believe that he is speaking within a node but I'll let
Sashi clarify that.

If it was the latter then my answer would change to no, this is not
possible.  That is because you'd then need the processes to use
something like MPI and/or PGAS.  In that case I would suggest taking a
look at MVAPICH2-X.

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/downloads/

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:26:05AM -0400, Mehmet Belgin wrote:
> Sashi, do you mean processes sharing memory within a node, or in a distributed way? Not sure if the latter is possible (hope I am wrong).
>
> Mehmet
>
> On Aug 29, 2014, at 7:52 AM, Jonathan Perkins <perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:21:09PM -0700, Sashi Balasingam wrote:
> >> I am using MVAPICH 2-1.8 on a cluster with 8 nodes, using one mpi
> >> process per node. Is it possible to launch one or more
> >> non-mpi, standalone  applications, from each of the MPI process, in
> >> runtime ?
> >>
> >> If possible, two more questions -
> >>    (a) Can I use shared-memory or named-pipes to comm with those applications ?
> >>    (b) If any of those (non-mpi) process crashes, will it also crash the parent mpi process ?
> >
> > Hello Sashi,
> >
> > Yes, its possible.  You can use shared memory and/or pipes.  A crashing
> > child process does not have to cause the parent to crash but this of
> > course depends on how you write the parent.
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Perkins

Jonathan Perkins