[mvapich-discuss] MV2_USE_BLOCKING=1 with ch3:psm

Adam T. Moody moody20 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 21 14:59:23 EDT 2014

Hi David and Leonard,
We have many QLogic clusters at LLNL.

The problem lies with Intel's PSM library itself.  PSM does not provide
a notification mechanism to wake MPI when a message comes in, so MPI's
only option is to poll.  Right now, MVAPICH repeatedly calls
psm_mq_ipeek() to test for a received message.

The best you can do right now is to yeild the CPU on occassion from
within MPI.  However, this just releases the CPU if another process is
ready to run, so your CPU still churns at 100%.

If you value blocking behavior more than bandwidth and latency, one
solution may be to configure MVAPICH to use verbs instead of PSM.
-Adam