[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH2 HPL performance issue

Mikhail Posypkin mposypkin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 03:42:58 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

Mvapich2 1.9 and mvapich2 2.0rc demonstrate very poor performance in HPL
Linpack test
from netlib.org. The running time of the HPL test compiled with mvapich is
at least 10 times greater then for the same test compiled with OpenMPI. I
tried 16 and 32 processes on two 16 core servers. Suprsingly even if I run
'xhpl' executable from the command line on the cluster front-end server (1
MPI process) the difference in performance is the same (approximately 10
times). I assume we build it with wrong flags or make some other
installation error. Could you please help us to resolve this issue?

All the best,
Mikhail