[mvapich-discuss] Core binding oversubscription with batch schedulers

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 12 03:52:47 EDT 2013

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013, Winkler, Ursula (ursula.winkler at uni-graz.at) wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> we have the same problems with Gridengine. We "solved" it with setting
> the environment variable MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY to 0.
>
> Ursula

Hi Ursula,

Sure - and thanks for the response - but that's a hack to prevent the
oversubscription and get things working. As your double-quotes suggest, it
isn't ideal having to disable per-process core binding, though.

It would be really nice for MVAPICH2 to do its core binding from the pool
of cores it has been given.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK