[mvapich-discuss] Core binding oversubscription with batch schedulers

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Oct 16 05:21:51 EDT 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Jonathan Perkins wrote:
> I missed this in the earlier email.  Does this mean that the correct
> behavior is seen with mpirun_rsh but not hydra?

No: it's just that I hadn't tested mpirun_rsh with core bindings. I have
just done so now and it's the same behaviour I saw with the hydra
launcher.

> I'm not familiar with the current state of Grid Engine.  I do hope that
> they are moving forward in this direction as it will make it easier for
> lots of software to "just work".

I think they are - maybe this is one of those problems that just go away
in time. It's just unfortunate that MVAPICH2's default behaviour is
harmful in these cases (until someone notices and turns core binding off).

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK