[mvapich-discuss] Cannot make mpirun (hydra) read std input

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Nov 10 11:22:48 EST 2013

Hi Mehmet.  I took a quick look at the hydra code (mpiexec.hydra) and
it looks like file redirection is intended to work there.  It's
possible that there may be a bug lurking in this area.

I can mention that in mpirun_rsh we explicitly close stdin (and
redirect) all mpi ranks other than 0 so that only process 0 can read
successfully.  I'm not sure if in your case all ranks are trying to
read from stdin and each getting some different portion of the data
(or none at all).  Does your application read from only rank 0?

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Mehmet <mbelgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to run a simple code in this way, using mvapich2/1.9:
>
> mpirun -np 8 CAC < cac.in        (mpirun links to mpiexec.hydra)
>
> and getting:
>
> [proxy:0:0 at iw-k30-6.pace.gatech.edu] HYDU_sock_write
> (./utils/sock/sock.c:291): write error (Broken pipe)
> [proxy:0:0 at iw-k30-6.pace.gatech.edu] HYD_pmcd_pmip_control_cmd_cb
> (./pm/pmiserv/pmip_cb.c:963): unable to write to downstream stdin
> [proxy:0:0 at iw-k30-6.pace.gatech.edu] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event
> (./tools/demux/demux_poll.c:77): callback returned error status
>
> When I try with mpirun_rsh, it works. Any ideas why mpirun won't work when
> input file is redirected?
>
> Thanks!
> -Mehmet

Jonathan Perkins