[mvapich-discuss] LiMIC2/KNEM

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 11:34:21 EDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Dhabaleswar Panda wrote:
> Many production clusters (including the very large ones at TACC) have
> been using MVAPICH2 with LiMIC2 for the last several years on a
> daily-basis. Thus, these concerns do not appear to be real.

Thanks for the reply, but...

... it all depends on context, doesn't it? Some production clusters (of
whatever size) can cope with vulnerabilities, some cannot. But is there a
vulnerability here?

> Recent kernels provide support for kernel-based memory copy directly.
> One such support is called Cross Memory Attach (CMA). Thus, you do not
> need any separate Kernel module. MVAPICH2 1.9 provides support for CMA,
> in addition to LiMIC2.

Brilliant! Hadn't heard of that: I will certainly look out for it hitting
our preferred server OS :)

Thanks again,

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK