[mvapich-discuss] problem with timing and _MCST_SUPPORT_ with 1.9a ?

Evren Yurtesen IB eyurtese at abo.fi
Thu Oct 4 07:47:33 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am getting timing warnings (due to cpu speed scaling) with 1.9a but NOT
with previous versions (<=1.8.1). I configured them all with --enable-fast
and exactly same configure options

I tracked the issue to:
src/mpid/ch3/channels/mrail/src/rdma/ch3_init.c
about line 372

#if defined(_MCST_SUPPORT_) || defined(_ENABLE_UD_)
     mv2_init_timers();
#if defined(_MCST_SUPPORT_)

I have no idea where these timers are required... However in:
src/mpid/ch3/channels/common/src/util/mv2_clock.c
at about line 217 is a ifndef which can skip the call to mv2_init_timers()
etc.

#ifndef DISABLE_LOW_LEVEL_TIMERS

I feel there is something strange here. If I am disabling timing
collection with --enable-fast, then why some timers are getting
initialized? and why mcast support requires them where nothing else
seem to require them? is that just result of some quick patching?

Is this a bug?

Is it advisable to force DISABLE_LOW_LEVEL_TIMERS from within CFLAGS +=
'-DDISABLE_LOW_LEVEL_TIMERS' ?

Thanks,
Evren