[mvapich-discuss] mpiexec with Infiniband

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jun 29 14:19:17 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:26:36PM -0500, vaibhav dutt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an issue with using mpiexec. Does mpiexec not use the Infiniband
> interface by itself.
> Because I am running an application with mpirun_rsh and mpiexe but I am
> getting a huge time difference
> between these two. mpiexec does seem to have an option -iface to specify
> the network interface.
> How should I use it?
>
> Thank You

Both mpirun_rsh and mpiexec use tcp/ip communication by default.  If you
want to use the -iface option with mpiexec then you'd need to specify
the IPoIB interface to use (such as ib0).

Can you tell us what type of application you're running and what type of
time difference you're seeing?  Is it with launching time, application
run time, or just total time from initiation to completion?

--
Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo