[mvapich-discuss] Building MVAPICH2 1.8a2/1.7 difficulties with PGI 12.2

Thompson, Matt (GSFC-610.1)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] matthew.thompson at nasa.gov
Mon Feb 27 10:27:21 EST 2012

On 02/27/2012 10:01 AM, Jonathan Perkins wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 02:10:36PM -0600, Thomas Rothrock CTR SMDC SimCtr/GaN Corporation wrote:
>> This is a problem in PGI 12.2-0 and affects more than just the MVAPICH2 1.8 trunk.  My first workaround was the following patch:
>>
>> I received the following response from PGI earlier today:
>>
>>         Unfortunately, the correction did not make it into the 12.2 release
>>
>>         In the two files listed below,
>>
>>         change
>>         #if !defined(_GNU_SOURCE)
>>         #if !defined(_GNU_SOURCE) || !defined(__cplusplus)
>>
>>         /opt/pgi/linux86-64/12.2/include/float.h
>>         /opt/pgi/linux86-64/12.2/include/limits.h
>>
>> The latter is likely the best workaround, but relies on you being able to modify the PGI 12.2 installation on affected systems.
>
> Tom, thanks for updating the list with your work around and PGI's
> response.
>
> Matt, can you verify whether this works for you or not?  Thanks in
> advance.

Yes indeed, changing float.h in this way allowed us to build MVAPICH2
1.8a2 with PGI 12.2. I'm now doing builds and tests to make sure
MVAPICH2 built correctly, but it looks good.

(NOTE: PGI did update the forum topic I started about this by saying the
best thing to do might be to remove the corresponding #ifdefs altogether
from limits.h and float.h. This is mainly because Tom, being faster than
I, tried to make Open MPI and ran into an issue as well concerning these.)

Thanks for all the help with this,
Matt
--
Matt Thompson, PhD     SSAI, Sr Software Test Engr
NASA GSFC, Global Modeling and Assimilation Office