[mvapich-discuss] one-sided passive communications

"María J. Martín" maria.martin.santamaria at udc.es
Wed Dec 5 07:15:03 EST 2012

Hello,

We are using MVAPICH2.1-7 to run an asynchronous algorithm using one-sided passive communications on an Infiniband cluster. We observe that some unlocks take a long time to progress. If extra mpi calls are inserted, the times spent in some unlock calls decrease. It seems that the target of the remote operation should enter the MPI library to progress the unlock calls. However, we had understood from this article http://nowlab.cse.ohio-state.edu/publications/conf-papers/2008/santhana-ipdps08.pdf that this requirement was avoided through the use of RDMA data transfers. We have executed with the MV2_USE_RDMA_ONE_SIDED parameter set to 1 and to 0 but none difference was observed in the execution times. Any clarification about the behavior of passive one-sided communications would be welcome.

Thanks,

María

María J. Martín
Computer Architecture Group