[mvapich-discuss] Problems with migration in mvapich2-1.8rc1

Raghunath rajachan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 17 00:07:39 EDT 2012

Ivan,

I see from your example that you're trying to migrate all processes out of
compute-0-10.
This is the node which hosts the 'root mpispawn' process. Typically, there
is one mpispawn
process per node. The current design does not allow the migration of MPI
processes that are residing
in the same node that hosts the root mpispawn. It allows the migration of
processes
from ALL other nodes.

For instance, consider a 4 process MPI job that is run with the following
hostfile:

compute-0-8
compute-0-8
compute-0-9
compute-0-9

Here, you have 2 nodes which hosts two processes each. 'compute-0-8' is the
node which
will be hosting the root mpispawn process, so you will not be able to
migrate ranks 0 and 1 away from it,
but you can migrate ranks 2 and 3 out of compute-0-9 with the command
'mv2_trigger compute-0-9'

Also, disabling prelinking is a *requirement* to get process migration
working. The FAQ entry in BLCR's documentation
explains why this is a requirement:
https://upc-bugs.lbl.gov/blcr/doc/html/FAQ.html#prelink

A couple of other minor things to note:

- You can remove the "--enable-checkpointing --with-hydra-ckpointlib=blcr "
configure options.
MVAPICH2 inherits these flags from MPICH2, and using them will enable the
checkpointing
support in MPICH2 and is not needed for the checkpointing / migration
support in MVAPICH2's ch3 channel.

- The 'sparehosts' option takes a list of spare nodes that will be used for
consecutive migrations.
Specifying the same node name twice, as in your case, would mean that the
first and second migration
will consider compute-0-9 to be the spare node. You might not want that.

- I noticed that you've disabled aggregation (and RDMA-based migration in
turn). You can enable that
if you have FUSE installed in your system, to eliminate the file-copy
overheads and to take benefits
of MVAPICH2's pipelined process-migration protocol.

Do let us know if you have additional questions.

--
Raghu <http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/%7Erajachan/>