[mvapich-discuss] MPI Polling and Blocking

Devendar Bureddy bureddy at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 16 11:29:17 EDT 2012

Hi Ranjan

This is expected. Since blocking mode requires asynchronous support from the
underlying hw and libraries, many features and techniques within an MVAPICH2
library can not work with blocking mode. However, these features and
techniques
are available with the polling mode. Thus, it is strongly recommended that
you use the polling mode (default mode) for your MPI applications.

-Devendar

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM, koko jumbo <hpcconnect at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been doing some experiments with MPI collective operations (OSU
> benchmarks) and I found that polling mode in MPI delivers better
> performance than the blocking mode. Can anybody tell me why is it so?
>
> Thanks
> Ranjan

Devendar