[mvapich-discuss] a weird problem with mvapich2 about permission

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Nov 14 12:18:05 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 15:09 +0800, tianrong zhan wrote:
> Dear all:
>
>     I've installed mvapich2-1.6 along with OFED 1.5 on a Suse 11
> server. In testing mpi, I encounter a weird problem.
>
>     If I run the test with root permission, every is ok. But, when I
> switch to a ordinary user, it ended up with following error:
> """Fatal error in MPI_Init:
>     Other MPI error, error stack:
>     MPIR_Init_thread(413): Initialization failed
>     (unknown)(): Other MPI error"""
>
>    any help is appreciated!

Hello Tianrong:
It looks like you may have a simple setup issue.  As an ordinary user,
can you run ulimit -l and see if this is set high enough.  I suggest
setting this to unlimited.  Please see our userguide for more
information on this.

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.8_alpha1.html#x1-1180009.4.3

If this does not help there could be something else going wrong.  In
that case please reconfigure using the --enable-g=dbg option.  You can
also set the MV2_DEBUG_CORESIZE and MV2_DEBUG_SHOW_BACKTRACE options as
indicated by the following link.

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.8_alpha1.html#x1-1050009.1.10

Please let us know if this helps.

--