[mvapich-discuss] OSU benchmarks interpretation

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Mar 2 06:00:08 EST 2011

On Wednesday, March 02, 2011 08:03:42 am Nikita Andreev wrote:
> I'm benchmarking bandwidth between two compute nodes equipped with Mellanox
> ConnectX DDR InfiniBand two-port HCAs. I run benchmarks under OpenMPI which
> supports dual-rail configurations.
>
> Results for message size 4194304:
>
> osu_bw               4917.75 MB/s
> osu_bibw           5007.49 MB/s
> osu_put_bw     3489.35 MB/s
> osu_put_bibw  3876.96 MB/s
> osu_get_bw      3482.18 MB/s

This is way too fast for a single DDR ConnectX you're probably running the
test using shared memory on one node.

Expected DDR performance (one port) is roughly:
 unidir PCIe 2.5GT: 1400 MB/s
 unidir PCIe 5.0GT: 1950 MB/s
 bidir: ~2x unidir

Using both ports will on 2.5GT PCIe be pointless (can't even push one port)
and on 5.0GT I'm guessing you'd max out at ~3000 MB/s unidir but have not
tried it myself.

=> Multirail for performace pretty much needs two HCAs.

/Peter

--
-= Peter Kjellström
-= National Supercomputer Centre