[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH2 with OpenMP

Martin Cuma martin.cuma at utah.edu
Tue Mar 1 19:34:17 EST 2011

Hi Sayantan,

thanks for looking into this.

The problem is - I can't run in mixed MPI-OpenMP mode. I have programs
that use MPI for coarse grained parallelization, and, to further
parallelize  loops within each MPI process, I use OpenMP threads.

When I build these programs with MVAPICH2, I am unable to use the OpenMP
threads - no matter how I set the number OpenMP threads to (via
OMP_NUM_THREADS environment variable or via omp_set_num_threads function),
it always just runs with 1 thread.

When I compile the programs with my own build of MPICH2, it works fine
with multiple threads. I also noticed that OFED supplied MVAPICH2 works
OK. So, as I said, I suspect it may have to do with either the environment
we build MVAPICH2 in or the configuration flags we use.

I have always had this issue, but, just today I have it with the latest
MVAPICH2 1.6rc3.

Thanks,
MC