[mvapich-discuss] mvapich2-1.7a: configure: error: Unable to convert MPI_SIZEOF_AINT to a hex string

Maik Nijhuis maik.nijhuis at clustervision.com
Wed Jun 1 03:41:28 EDT 2011

Dear all,

While building mvapich2-1.7a, from a downloaded .tar.gz file, I got this
rather cryptic error:

"configure: error: Unable to convert MPI_SIZEOF_AINT to a hex string.  This
is either because we are building on a very strange platform or there is a
bug somewhere in configure."

After tracing the issue, I found that MPI_SIZEOF_AINT is 0, and so is
ac_cv_sizeof_int, ac_cv_sizeof_double, etc.

The error occurs when 'configure' determines the ac_cv_size_* sizes. Since
my LD_LIBRARY_PATH did not contain the proper paths, a generated executable
does not properly run, and 'configure' sets the size to 0 instead of
printing an error and aborting.

Even though config.log contains multiple linker and runtime errors about
missing libraries, the configure script seems to ignore those...

So, if you get MPI_SIZEOF_AINT errors, check your config.log for missing
library errors and check your LD_LIBRARY_PATH!

Maik