[mvapich-discuss] truly one-sided communication

Thiago thiago at sci.utah.edu
Wed Jan 19 11:21:42 EST 2011

Ah pity! I need this for a paper due in a few days.  Hmm, all I really
need is an RMA read from the target memory which is read-only and never
modified. I take it this means that synchronization is unneeded? Aside
from waiting for MPI-3 to hopefully have this as an option (please!),
how painful would it be to hack MVAPICH2 to simply throw out the
synchronization so that when I call MPI_Get it only does a single RMA
read over Infiniband and the lock/unlock skip the communication?  If
that's too complicated, what would be the next best option?  I have 64
nodes, each running 8 threads where each thread does computation and
random MPI_Get communication.  Is there something, (perhaps unportable
and only works on 1.6-rc2!) that I could do that would let me call
MPI_Get without having to have the target know this is happening?
Perhaps using MPI_MODE_NOCHECK and doing "undefined" behavior that
actually ends up working just this time?  If I must do a standard
passive communication, what's the best way to ensure my performance
doesn't tank?  Is there a cheap MPI function I can have a thread do in a
while loop to ensure that progress is made?

Thanks,
Thiago