[mvapich-discuss] Newbie question: Running hybrid applications

Matt Foster Matthew.Foster at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 5 10:54:25 EDT 2010

Hello, I am new to this list.  I have searched the Internet and the
MVAPICH2 User's Guide for an answer to this question, but I'm still
having trouble.  I have more experience running strictly distributed
applications, but am somewhat new to hybrid apps.

The application in question is the WRF weather forecast model.  I have
compiled it in hybrid (dm+sm) mode using the Intel compilers.  I am able
to run it successfully in hybrid mode when compiled against OpenMPI, but
with it compiled against MVAPICH2 1.5 I have trouble.  Basically, the
correct number of processes launch, but either no threads are being
launched or all threads are running on the same core as their parent
process.  Our nodes have 8 cores (2x quad-core), and I am trying to run
4 processes with 2 threads each.

I have attempted to follow the guidance in the user's guide, but I must
be missing something.  This is how I am attempting to launch the program...

mpirun_rsh -np 16 --hostfile hostfile MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY=0
OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 real.exe

I have also tried setting MV2_ENABLE_AFFINITY and OMP_NUM_THREADS in the
environment before launching the program, but it made no difference.

What am I doing wrong?

Matt

--
Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson