[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH2-PSM 1.4 InfiniPath context sharing problems, including patch

Avneesh Pant avneesh.pant at qlogic.com
Mon Feb 1 15:29:50 EST 2010

DK,
I believe the release Ben is referring to below is the QOFED 5.1.0.0.49 release which is available from
http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchByProduct.aspx?ProductCategory=301&Product=1115&Os=65.

I haven't gone through the patch entirely but he is correct regarding hijacking of the PSM_SHAREDCONTEXTS_MAX environment variable. This is a user visible variable that allows administrators/users to specify how multiple jobs that are packed on node can shared hardware resources. As such the MPI library should *not* be overriding this variable. The default behavior if the variable is not specified is that PSM will attempt to use the NIC resources greedily with the assumption that all processes on a node belong to the same job i.e. node locked jobs. The user guide that explains this in more detail is also available in the link above.

Avneesh