[mvapich-discuss] Uninstalling mvapich

abc def cannonjunk at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 17:42:33 EDT 2010

Hello DK,

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I will try to explain:

1. Basically I now realise that I originally, last year, installed from an archive called "mvapich2-1.2-2009-10-14.tar.gz".
2. So it seems I did in fact use mvapich, and not mpich as I originally thought.
3. Since this is optimised for infiniband, and we just have some computers linked together by ethernet, I should be using mpich, which is why I then downloaded mpich and tried to install that.
4. The original configuration of the mvapich archive was done with the command indicated below.
5. Since I was new to this, I didn't know what it meant, and since you say they're not applicable to mvapich, I guess it's possible that any non-applicable options were ignored during the mvapich compilation (I don't know).
6. You may have noticed from the messages that I posted on the other list that I am having problem switching from shm to nemesis. I want to do this because I want to link these 3 computers together to run 1 simulation on 12 nodes (3xquad-core computers).
7. Every time I remove mvapich as indicated in my message to this list, then re-install mpich, it still gives me the (quad != december) error (where quad and december are computer names), so it's not switching to nemesis, even though I specify this in the configuration.
8. This makes me wonder if there is something left over from the original mvapich shm installation which is preventing proper installation of mpich (nemesis), prompting this message to this list, to make sure I'm starting from a "clean slate".

I hope this makes it more clear. I really appreciate your patience, and if anyone is able to help me clear mvapich completely off the system so I can rule it out as a reason for the inability to install and run mpich in a nemesis configuration, then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and with best regards,

James