[mvapich-discuss] Mpirun_rsh

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Oct 29 11:09:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 07:21:33AM -0500, Mayhall, Anthony J. (MSFC-ES53)[TBE-1] wrote:
> Is it possible to run MPI jobs without having to use mpirun_rsh?  If I
> use the -show option and try to use those commands to run jobs, they
> fail with connection refused errors.  I need to be able to run apps
> with different names.  How can I do that?  Mpiexec?  Will mpiexec work
> with MVAPICH properly?  What is mpirun_rsh doing to setup ports, etc.,
> before running those commands?  Is it something that can be done from
> the command line?

The use of mpirun_rsh is recommended for faster and scalable job
start-up.  One can use the MPD/mpiexec functionality. However, this will
not be scalable. Most of MVAPICH/MVAPICH2 users currently use the
mpirun_rsh framework. The MPD/mpiexec feature can be used with MVAPICH2.
However, it may have performance bottlenecks. We plan to add additional
features to mpirun_rsh in future releases.

--
Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo