[mvapich-discuss] Compiling MVAPICH2 on FC9

Divák Ádám divad at digitus.itk.ppke.hu
Sun Nov 15 17:37:16 EST 2009

Jonathan Perkins wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 08:49:28PM +0100, Divák Ádám wrote:
>
>> Dear Members,
>>
>> I would like to compile MVAPICH2 (1.4) under Fedora Core9 on an x86_64
>> machine but I run into a compiler-related error I can't figure out. (I
>> know FC9 is rather old but unfortunately I'm not the administrator of
>> the system)
>>
>> Running configure --prefix=`pwd` in the source directory yields:
>> [...]
>> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in
>> `/home/eperfa/mvapich2/mvapich2-1.4-src/src/mpid/common/locks':
>> configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
>> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
>> See `config.log' for more details.
>> configure: error: Configure of src/mpid/common/locks failed!
>>

> Thanks for the report.  It looks like you provided the top level
> config.log.  Can you post (or send me) the config.log in the
> src/mpid/common/locks directory.

Thanks for your answer, it just showed me my mistake so the problem is
solved.
Right after the configure script failed I entered the directory and ran
./configure there, which ran without any problems but it has overwritten
my original config.log
Re-running the original (top level) config and examining that log showed
the error itself, which was that the compiler couldn't find the
libibumad library. (I fail to see why that happened, as earlier in the
configuration process there is a direct test for that which didn't
produce errors, and the library is accessible from my path, but anyway,
moving the lib file from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib solved the problem.)

Excuse me for the noise.

Regards,
Adam